Monday, October 29, 2007

Just to catch up...

This week, I have no school. It's all saints week and the French celebrate it like they do everything else--they shut down everything and head to the beach. Yep. Vacation time.

Tomorrow morning, I will be on route to Rennes--from there I will go to Mont Saint-Michel, then to Carnac, then back to Lyon. Then, I will make a day trip to Le Puys. I just have to make sure I'm back for a Halloween party on friday.

Anywho! I thought I'd let you all know what's been going on. It's Halloween time and the French try to celebrate it in their own very strange way. Last Saturday there was a large festival in Bellecour, where there were stilt walkers with giant wings and old fashioned games, etc. It was also the release of the "Petite Paume," an annual publication by the youth of Lyon to designate all the hot spots and events that will take place during the year. I had heard that it was nearly impossible to get one of these and that you had to fight people to grab one. This might have been true at the start, but I showed up late and walked away with three of them--no problem.

Additionally, one of my main objectives I had before arriving here-getting boots--has been accomplished. They're brown and they go just up past my ankles. Quite comfortable and warm, I might add. That happened last Saturday, as well.

The following day, Sunday, a bunch of us went out to try famous (and pricey) Lyon dishes. I started the evening with Kir (Champagne with flavored syrup--I had rasberry). Then, I had the Saubedet Lyonnais, which is a sausage that rests in an onion soup and a small salad. Following that, there was a fillet covered in Cheese, served with potatoes, and green beans. I ended the meal with Chocolate Mousse. Some other people tried more dangerous dishes--like the cheek of a veal, pig snout, blood sausage, duck liver, Cunnul, etc. Other deserts included Chartreuse flavored ice cream, Creme de Marron (which is a sweet but delicious and fluffy pudding made from nuts), fruit salad, Cheese plates, etc. It was a pricey night, but it was a long time coming.

Then, I had a week of school. Not much going in that department. Thursday night I went to the Animal Collective concert here. It's actually kind of silly because all of the smaller bands in the united states are the larger more popular bands here in France. It ended at 1:30 and I was in the middle of nowhere. Thank God for my bike card--otherwise I would have been in a bit of trouble. I met a very nice Texan who was traveling through Lyon just to see the concert. It was a nice evening.

Friday I made a chocolate hazelnut cakes which my family was literally fighting over for the last two days. I started a war over chocolate. It was so beautiful!

My friend Kim went out of town and a lot of my other friends are traveling through Paris this week so I figure it's about time I get out of here and go somewhere, too. Besides, I've had it with the French postal system and I'm pretty sure the people who work there recognize me every time I go in there to complain. So, here I come vacation. Work your magic.

Should come back with some nice pictures. Stay tuned.

No comments: