Friday, October 12, 2007

I think I'm turning Japenese

Okay, so this will be a pretty boring entry. One boring picture and old fashioned text. Sorry.

So, after I got back form Geneva, I had a pretty nasty cold. So, I stayed in and rested for a week before I tested into the school. I didn't do that great on the placement exam, but it's not a big deal because I really like my class and it doesn't sound like there are many differences between the classes. We started out with some review this week that has been really helpful anyway.

Anywho, allow me to paint you a picture of the class: 18 Asians, 3 Latino/as, and me. Yep. Only English-speaker in the room. Go me!

That being said, in the past two weeks, I have only really been hanging out with the Japanese. That's right, my new best friends: Yuka, Tomoko, Emi, Meri, Mariko... you get the picture. The other person who I've been hanging out with is a Korean (OH, big shock there!) whose name is Ji-hye. Don't ask me how to pronounce it.

Additionally, Juan from Columbia and Paula Maria from Ecuador. She always tells me how I should visit Quito next time I'm in Ecuador. Yep, Paula. I'll get on that... when I go back.

In the past week, I've been getting comfortable also with a group of Americans who live down the street. At my friend Kim's we meet up there every night to watch American TV, indulge on American coffee, and eat nutella with things that one wouldn't really expect to eat nutella with. Additionally, I have been baking a lot--My host mom has called me the cookie king. I don't take this lightly and I expect all of you to call me the cookie king from now on.

There has been a couple things here or there that have been interesting. On a side note, I can definitely turn the TV on and, while not looking at it, can pay attention to the news. That's pretty big strides in my French I think.

I've been playing a little soccer... easy of course 'cause I don't want to mess up my ankle again. I also played basketball with the Japanese and I accidentally knocked Tomoko in the face. We'll see if she ever talks to me again...

Okay, that's about it. Kind of boring, but I can't tell you how nice it is getting into a schedule. The repetition is kind of nice.

Finally, here is your picture. I showed Ji-hye and Mariko Photo Booth (Mac application for you non-Apple-savvy peoples). Needless to say, they loved it. Here is a nice pic of the three of us.

Ji-hye, Me, Markiko

Tonight is a friend's birthday (American) and we're going to get together and have some wine and cheese.

Tomorrow is the Rugby game. France beat New Zealand (which just doesn't happen), so they have a good shot at the title. Hopefully I will go to Sarah's again to watch it since I had so much fun last time. Her host family is really nice and last week she made American food for them (mac and cheese--'cept it was baked and yummy).

Allez France! Ciao my American Friends!

3 comments:

Amy said...

So THAT'S where you've been.

Anonymous said...

Ah, can we please spell Japanese correctly??

The Cognitive Columnist said...

Has no one noticed that there is usually at least one spelling mistake in every title?

Sigh... no one gets me.